When you have pets at home, it is normal to wonder what they can eat from the food that abounds in our kitchen. For example, you may wonder if dogs can eat tomatoes or if tomatoes are not good for them. Read on and find out the answer!
Can dogs eat tomatoes?
If you love your pet, you should already know that there are foods that are very toxic to dogs and should be banned from their diet.
Consuming any of them can make him seriously ill and, if eaten in large quantities, can even cost him his life.
Is tomato one of those foods? Well, the answer is no and, therefore, it can be said that yes, dogs can eat tomato, but with some important nuances to take into account!
Dogs can eat tomatoes, but with certain precautions.
The first thing to consider if you are going to offer a tomato to your dog is that it is ripe and seedless.
The seeds of fruits (because yes, tomatoes are fruits) are toxic to dogs.
As for it being ripe, this is because tomatoes that are still green contain a high amount of a chemical compound (solanine, a toxic glycoalkaloid) that can affect your pet's health.
This compound is also present in the green parts of the tomato plant (leaves and stems).
Therefore, consumption by your furry friend of both the green parts of the tomato plant and unripe tomatoes should be avoided at all costs.
Otherwise, depending on the amount ingested, symptoms can range from mild, such as gas, to increasingly severe, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms of poisoning (tremors, convulsions, etc.).
Benefits of ripe tomatoes for dogsUnlike green tomatoes, red tomatoes, already ripe, can bring great benefits to the animal, as long as they are given with the precautions that we will explain a little later.
Among these benefits are the antioxidants contained in this fruit, vitamins (especially C and A), hydration, due to its high water content, and fiber.
All this helps the dog:
- Strengthens his immune system.
- Delays the onset of some age-related problems.
- Prevents dehydration.
- Promotes intestinal transit.
- Helps eliminate toxins.
How to give tomato to a dog?If you want to offer tomato to your dog, take note of the following tips:
- Although dogs can eat tomatoes, they should never be abundant in their diet. It should be offered in moderation, not every day. Also, remember that within the animal's diet, fruits and vegetables only occupy a small percentage (10-15%).
- Of course, tomato should be given without any seasoning. Avoid salt and other spices on the tomato.
- Wash the tomato well before feeding. You have to remove any chemicals or toxins that are in it and come from the plant, soil, storage processes, etc.
- Do not give a whole tomato. Break off a piece and cut it into pieces.
- Raw or made into sauce. You can give the tomato as it is or make a sauce with it. However, if you do it in sauce, it must not contain anything else, especially avoid onion, garlic or salt, which are so common in tomato sauces.
And finally, a word of advice: don't be too hasty in giving your dog a large amount of tomato. The first few times, try offering just a little bit to see how he reacts.