Can dogs eat artichoke: yes or no?
Within the list of vegetables suitable for dogs, artichokes are a good consideration.
In the case of humans there is no doubt and the main reason is the high amount of nutrients it possesses:
- Lots of vitamin C.
- Folic acid.
- Lots of fiber.
However, although this is also true for dogs, it must be taken into account that their organism differs from ours. Therefore, is it equally beneficial for dogs?
Let's be clear: dogs can eat artichokes, but in moderation.
However, when including natural foods in our pets' dishes, it is important to take into account whether all parts are edible or not, as well as the quantities to be offered.
In the case of this vegetable, heart, stem and leaves are not harmful to the animal's health. The existing danger would be if a very high quantity is offered.
Risks of giving a lot of artichokes to dogs
If you overdo the amount of artichokes you give your dog, it can suffer from different problems:
- Blockage of its digestive system.
In addition, although it is not common, there is always the risk that the dog suffers a food allergy if it is the first time in its life that it consumes artichokes.
How do I give artichokes to my dog
Now that you know that dogs can eat artichokes, it is time to clarify how they should be offered to them so that they are beneficial and not harmful.
- Wash the artichokes well.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- The first time, give him a few pieces and wait a while in case you notice any strange reaction.
- If not, you can give him some more.
- The best way to feed it is raw, after removing the outer leaves.
- However, you can also steam it or prepare a canine recipe. However, be careful, as these recipes should not include garlic, onion or any other food that is toxic for dogs.
- Do not give your dog artichoke more than once a week. It is better to alternate with other vegetables.
Benefits of artichoke for dogs
As mentioned, dogs can eat artichoke in moderation and this will have benefits for them.
- Eating this vegetable is appropriate to reduce canine cholesterol levels. Artichoke is a low-fat food.
- Artichokes help to reduce gas.
- It is a vegetable that helps to relieve problems such as stomach and colon irritations.
- The intake of artichokes provides a great amount of vitamins such as A, B1, B3, C and K.
- It also provides minerals to the animal's organism: potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium.
- It is a food that contains antioxidants. Therefore, it helps to increase defenses against some diseases such as cancer, premature aging, heart problems and other genetic pathologies.
Other vegetables that dogs can eat
In addition to artichoke, experts recommend the inclusion of certain vegetables in the diet of dogs if they are offered food naturally or as a sporadic reward in case they are already fed with quality commercial feed.
Among these vegetables recommended for dogs are:
Have you taken good note of these tips? Then it's time to give your dog a taste of artichoke.