Also Like

5 Foods You Should Never Give Your Dog: A Guide to Pet Health

Ideally, dogs should not eat our leftovers but their food. Never give your pet these five foods.

Almost all dogs are natural eaters. There are honorable exceptions, of course, but it is quite common for a dog to try to eat any food he can get his hands on or that his owner is willing to give him.

Ideally, the dog should not be given leftovers. He should eat his food and, if anything, a snack that is designed for him, not the leftovers from our plates.

Here are five foods you should never give to your dog and why.

People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

1. Garlic and onions

Both of these foods contain thiosulfate, which damages dogs' red blood cells and can cause anemia.

2. Avocado

Avocado contains a toxin called persin, which is harmless to humans but can cause your dog to develop intestinal problems, such as transient diarrhea. Persin is not in the flesh of the fruit, but is found in the peel, pit and leaves of the branches of the tree where it grows, so it would be complicated for the pet to get intoxicated. However, it is good to keep this information in mind.

3. Macadamia nuts

Although some nuts can be given to dogs without any problem, macadamia nuts, in particular, contain a toxin that can be harmful to their nervous system.

4. Chocolate

Most dog owners know that under no circumstances should they give chocolate to their pet, but it bears repeating. This food contains theobromine, a substance with a caffeine-like effect, as well as diuretic and vasodilator properties.

The problem with chocolate in dogs is that they are not able to metabolize theobromine, so if they ingest it, their heart rate may accelerate, they may vomit, have diarrhea and depending on the amount they have taken, it can cause death.

Keep in mind that the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. If it is lighter, it will contain milk and, of course, sugar in abundance. This ingredient would be, in this case, the one that would not be good for the animal because, as in the case of humans, it could cause obesity, tooth decay, diabetes...

If you are thinking about chocolates with sweetener, the recommendation remains the same: do not share them with your dog. If, for example, they contain xylitol, a natural sweetener, they could cause liver failure in your dog.

5. Grapes and raisins

They can cause serious damage to your dog's kidneys, which can be fatal. If 32 g of grapes per kilogram of weight of the dog is exceeded, the animal could suffer kidney failure. It does not affect all breeds equally, but the right thing to do is not to give grapes or raisins to your dog.

Reas also: Toxic Food For Dogs